HAPPY PRIDE MONTH ?️?
June is Pride Month and we wanted to take some time to celebrate the LGBTQ+ community.
Did you know that most Pride events take place around June to commemorate the 1969 Stonewall riots in New York City?
What are the Stonewall Riots?
A series of spontaneous, violent demonstrations by members of the LGBTQ+ community in response to a police raid taking place at the Stonewall Inn, a gay bar in Manhattan on June 28, 1969. The riots are widely considered to constitute one of the most important events leading to the gayliberation movement.
Pride Parades actually started as demonstrations or ‘marches’ for legal rights such as same-sex-marriage. These days, they are seen more as celebrations for the LGBTQ+ rights movement.
If you’re interested in learning more, we found an insightful article about Pride today and what it can teach us in 2020 here.
What we’re reading
– ‘The Gender Games’ by Juno Dawson
– ‘Queer Brown Voices’ by Uriel Quesada, Letitia Gomez and Salvador Vidal-Ortiz
– ‘We have always been here’ by Samra Habib
– ‘Redefining Realness: My Path to Womanhood, Identity, Love & So Much More’ by Janet Mock
– ‘The Book of Pride: LGBTQ Heroes Who Changed the World’ by Mason Funk
What we’re watching
– The Death and Life of Martha P. Johnson on Netflix
– Vida on Amazon Prime
– Disclosure on Netflix
– POSE on Netflix
– The Miseducation of Cameron Post on Netflix
What we’re listening to
– ‘NB: My non-binary life’ by BBC Sounds
– The ‘Food 4 Thot’ Podcast
– ‘Nancy’ by WNYC Studios
– ‘History is Gay’ Podcast
– ‘Las Culturistas’ Podcast
An account to follow